Friday, July 24, 2009

Big Paintings









I've been painting outdoors on big paper, 7.5 feet by 5 feet 300 lb. watercolor paper. It won't fit inside anywhere that I can stand back from it. The proportion size is based roughly on the Western perfect proportions for a rectangle painting. Started with black gesso ground and added half a tube of brown to warm it up. The finished painting shown here is called "Aileen's Window". It is from the inside of the loft of a barn in Mountain City TN that my great grandfather built. I played on the colors to emphasize the stained glass window effect. Aileen is a dear friend and cousin who loved it there and recently crossed over. Also pictured is my studio assistant "Red", the orange cat, being ever helpful.

Lesson #3. Raise the bar.

3 comments:

  1. Wow! I can't wait to see it in person. You're having another show, aren't you?

    Cats are the best studio assistants, I find. They're always eager to be in the way... I mean, to help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The exhibition at Carroll Reece Museum on ETSU campus in Johnson City is up until Aug.6th, then Aug 13th my "big" show opens at Arts Depot in Abingdon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking forward to seeing the shows!

    ReplyDelete